Skip Navigation

  • Residents
  • Businesses
  • Visitors
This table is used for column layout.
On Our Site

Town Hall Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Building Department
Contact TypeContact Information
Building Commissioner
26 Central Street
Suite # 4
West Springfield, MA 01089-2757
(413) 263-3059
(413) 263-3018
8:00AM to 4:30PM (Closed for Lunch 1-2)
Important Links:
Link to PageLink to Page
Patrick Moore
Building Commissioner
Jay Steup
Building Inspector
Frances Roberts
Robert Szmania
Electrical Inspector
Richard Paige
Gas and Plumbing Inspector
Building Permit FAQ:
When is a building permit required?
Per the Massachusetts State Building Code, a building permit is required to construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, remove or demolish a structure; or to change the use or occupancy of a building or structure; or to install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated by the code. This includes, but is not limited to, new structures, additions, dormers, chimneys, woodstoves, decks, roofing, siding, windows, swimming pools, and antennas.

What other types of permits are available from the Building Department?
Other than general building permits, the department also has fence permits, demolition permits, duct work permits, solid fuel burning appliance permits, gas permits, electrical permits, plumbing permits, sign permits, and homeowner license exemption permits.

Who completes permits in the Building Department?
Either the contractor or the homeowner can complete the building permit.

How do I apply for a permit?
A homeowner or contractor has three options for filling out any of the permits available. They can come directly to the Building Department; print out the forms located here and fill them out by hand, or can fill in the PDF file here and print out the completed form.

What is a homeowner’s license exemption permit?
A homeowner’s license exemption permit is required for work on a single or two family residence if:
        1. The contractor does not have a State Construction Supervisors License, OR
        2. The homeowner is seeking the building permit, not the contractor
        3. When a contractor is unregistered, they do not have access to the guaranty fund (as set forth in MGL c.124A)

Depending on what you are proposing or the location of the work you may also need a permit from:

Planning Department             Conservation            Department of Public Works                 Health Department

                        License Commission              Town Clerk                      Town Council