The Park and Recreation Department offers Winter Swimming Lessons in the following levels. All classes are held at the West Springfield High School Sady Pool. Please see class descriptions below to place your child in the appropriate class.
Level 1 - INTRODUCTION TO WATER SKILLS:
Purpose: Helps participants feel comfortable in the water.
1. Opening eyes under water and retrieving submerged objects, 2 times (in shallow water).
2. Back float, 3 seconds.
3. Treading using arm and hand actions (in chest deep water).
4. Combined arm and leg actions on front, 2 body lengths.
5. Combined arm and leg actions on back, 2 body lengths.
Level 2 - FUNDAMENTAL AQUATIC SKILLS:
Purpose: Gives participants success with fundamental skills
1) Fully submerging and holding breath, 5 seconds.
2) Front glide, 2 body lengths.
3) Back float, 15 seconds.
4) Combined arm and leg actions on front, 5 body lengths.
5) Combined arm and leg actions on back, 5 body lengths.
Level 3 - STROKE DEVELOPMENT:
Purpose: Builds on the skills in Level 2 through additional guided practice in deeper water.
1) Headfirst entry from the side in a kneeling position (in water at least 9 feet deep).
2) Rotary breathing, 10 times.
3) Tread water, 30 seconds.
4) Front crawl, 15 yards.
5) Elementary backstroke, 15 yards.
6) Scissors kick, 10 yards.